Hi Carson Ward Family, Family and Friends,
Last week I admonished you to make some goals for the coming year regarding your Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness. I hope you have added some to your New Year's Goals and set up a plan to accomplish them.
Why do we need Food Storage and emergency supplies?
There are many scriptures which speak about being temporally and spiritually prepared and the blessings that come from being prepared. Our Church Leaders teach us and advise us to be self-reliant and set up our Food Storage and emergency supplies, to read our scriptures and pray daily, and to attend the Temple often to stay close to the spirit and receive revelation for ourselves and our family. We are taught to liken the scriptures unto us. Hear are a few scriptures regarding preparedness:
1. Doctrine and Covenants 38:30--"..., if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." How many times have we heard this and believe it? Great blessings come from being prepared!
2. Doctrine and Covenants 78:7---"For if you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things I have commanded you and required of you." How many times have we been taught and admonished by our Church General, Stake and Ward Leaders to have Food Storage and emergency supplies on hand? How long will it take us to follow their wise council and not fear the future?
3. Doctrine and Covenants 88:119---"Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God." Are we prepared for the things to come our way? Are we following the teachings of our Savior, Jesus Christ and leaders? Are we striving to prepare a way to protect ourselves and our families by following this scripture?
4. Doctrine and Covenants 133:57-58---"..., the Lord sent forth the fulness of his gospel, his everlasting covenant, reasoning in plainness and simplicity----To prepare the weak for those things which are coming on the earth,..." How prepared are we? Are we weak or strong when it comes to preparing our Food Storage and emergency supplies?
5. 1 Nephi 3:7---"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father; I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." Are we striving to follow the commandments and be self-reliant?
6. 1 Nehpi 22:20---"And the Lord will surely prepare a way for his people,..." Are we striving for this? If we are making goals and following a plan to accomplish the goals, and striving to follow our leaders and the commandments in the scriptures, the Lord will provide a way for us to be prepared both temporally and spiritually. We have a vegetable garden, but just recently the Lord admonished me to plant some fruit trees, which I am following.
Great blessings will come our way if we are striving to be become prepared!
1. Doctrine and Covenants 104:2---"With promise immutable and unchangeable, that inasmuch as those whom I commanded were faithful they should be blessed with a multiplicity of blessings;"
2. Doctrine and Covenants 124:90---"And if he shall do this I will bless him with a multiplicity of blessings,...."
3. Mosiah 2:41---"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual;...."
Great News! I have finally set up a CPR, First-aid and disaster preparedness class with the American Red Cross. I have requested Saturday February 25th or Saturday, March 10th. The class will start at 9:00am and is 6 1/2 hours long. We will hold it in the Cultural Hall, have donuts, milk and juice in the morning and a pot-luck lunch. We need at least 10 Ward members to attend to have the class. Please save these dates on your calendar. I may not know which date we will get until about two weeks before the class. I will have a sign up sheet at church this Sunday. What a great opportunity this is for each of us to become more prepared!
We will completing the 72 Hour Emergency Preparedness Backpacks we were working on at the end of last year. We will be working on the Stressor Kit for each family member. Why do you need this? To help each family member through a stressful time. These items will help with that.
Please add the following items for each family member's Stressor Kit this week and put the items into a large zip lock plastic bag and write on it Stressor Kit:
1) Book of Mormon (blue paper back type) or small set of 4-1 scriptures
2) Photo of the family
3) Important contact, especially out of state contact numbers, numbers
This year we are reading the Book of Mormon in Sunday School, this includes those in Primary, Young Men and Young Women. Follow along with the lesson guide, read the weekly assigned scriptures and discuss the weekly scriptures with your family. We are taught to liken the scriptures unto us. This will be our assignment for the year. If you do not have a lesson study guide contact a member of the Bishopric for one.
Please post your comments and ideas, they are greatly appreciated!