Friday, July 27, 2012

Weekly Assignment, Food Storage and Emergency Preparedness Ideas (Week of July 29th)

Hi Carson Ward Family, Family and Friends,

Quote:

"When the emergency is upon us, the time of preparation has passed!" (Anonymous)

"For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places." (Matthew 24:7)

Wow! So much to talk about this week!

First, Congratulations to Sally Salcido! She won our Carson Ward July FREE Monthly Giveaway Drawing last week. She won items for her 72 Hour Emergency Preparedness Family Bag: a small folding stove, 2 heat cells (like Sterno cans), a mess kit, a silverware set, and water proof matches. All these items will help her cook the food in her 72 Hour Emergency Preparedness Food Kit.

Next, Food prices are going up! Last week I mentioned this on the blog and now here it is! I heard on several news reports on Wednesday that meat, poultry, and pork will be going up 2%-5%, and all corn and soybean products will be going up 50%. Why? Because of the drought in the Midwest. Ranchers are taking their livestock to the slaughter houses earlier this year due to no grass in the fields and higher prices for corn and grains to feed their livestock. At first, the prices will be low due to a surplus in the market, but once that is gone, the prices will go up. Corn, think about how many of your foods have some type of corn product in them, and soybeans and soybean products are going up due to the loss of the Midwest crops because of the drought this summer. I fear this foods may even become unavailable. My suggestion--stock up now before they go up. Buy corn and soybeans by the case if you can at Costco or Sam's Club and other grocery stores.

How is your Vegetable Garden growing? Our vegetable garden is doing much better this year. I love going out each day and finding more vegetables to pick, it is like finding little treasures in our garden. If you did not plant a summer garden in the Spring, we will be working on our Winter garden soon, this are the cool vegetables like lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, etc.














Well, I did it! Ever since we have had a garden I have been wanting to learn how to "can" our vegetables and fruit, and have felt a little overwhelmed to try it. This year I decided I would do it, and I have. I have only done the water bath canning so far, the pressure cooker one still scares me a little. I will talk about it more next week on the blog since one of our goals for August is Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating. I am hoping to have a class in August on this for those interested.


FREE Monthly Giveaway Drawing Question: When is it to late to prepare? Please email me your answer to have your name entered into the August FREE Monthly Giveaway Drawing. Please include your name if it is not in your email address.

Final week for our July Goals: Paper Products and Adding Condiments to our Food Storage--

Weekly Paper Product Assignment:

1) This week add paper towels and napkins to your Paper Product Supplies. You can find napkins at most grocery stores and discount stores for $1. Paper towels, watch for sales and compare with Costco and Sam's Club prices, sometimes they are better. Determine how much of these products your family uses in one month and then multiply by the number of months you have set your Food Storage and Emergency Supply goals, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months.

Weekly Adding Condiments Assignment:

1) This week continue to add the condiments your family uses. See all the July blog Condiment assignments to help you. Remember to keep them in a cool, dry, dark place.

Next week we start our August Goals: Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating, Adding Vegetables and Fruits to our Food Storage.

Food Storage Ideas and Emergency Preparedness Ideas:

Did you know that less than 6% of LDS families have an adequate Emergency Supply? Which one are you?


This week someone emailed me a great 222 page "LDS Preparedness Manual". It is great and very thorough. I would suggest you look it over and save it as a favorite on your computer for future reference. I printed mine out, with the "draft" setting, because I like things like this in front of me. I put it into notebook. For all those who I have email addresses for I will email you the attachment. If you would like the email, please email me your email address at theark.carsonward@gmail.com. Please include you name since some email addresses do not have your name in the email address. Otherwise, go to Google and put in "LDS Preparedness Manual (Free)" and it will come up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment