A new year usually means new personal and family goals. I hope this year you and your family have set a goal by becoming more self-reliant by setting up each family members 72 Hour Emergency Kits, working on your 3 Months and Year's Supply of Food and other emergency items, water storage, making your home and family safe in case of a natural disaster or emergency situation, and planting a garden (or a container garden if possible).
This year's Carson Ward Emergency Preparedness Goals:
1) help each family become more prepared for an emergency situation
2) having first-aid and CPR classes
3) having an Emergency Preparedness Fair/Workshop
4) classes on how to cook with your Food Storage (especially the long storage items like wheat, dehydrated/freeze dried foods)
5) setting up a Ward Emergency Preparedness Plan along with the Stake Emergency Preparedness Plan
6) setting up a Ward Emergency Preparedness Committee
7) putting together a Ward Emergency Preparedness book that will show all Ward family members readiness, needs and talents
8) helping those who need help to plant a vegetable garden
9) how to can and freeze vegetables from your garden
10) if room plant a fruit tree (orange, lemon, etc)
I hope we will all work together to make our Ward and each Ward Family member prepared for any emergency situation we might face.
"Recent surveys of Church members have shown a serious erosion in the number of families who have a year's supply of life's necessities. Most members plan to do it. Too few have begun.... It is our scared duty to care for our families, including our extended families." Thomas S. Monson (Ensign, September 1986, page 4)
"Those families will be fortunate who, in the last days, have an adequate supply of food because of their foresight and ability to produce their own." Ezra Taft Benson (October Conference Talk, Ensign, November 1980, page 33)
72 Hour Emergency Family Pack/Bag:
This week add the following:
1) Portable Regular or Solar Radio with extra batteries (do not store the radio with the batteries inside the radio, keep in a zip lock bag). You may want to consider a hand crank solar powered portable radio, but also store batteries with it.
2) can opener (if you have cans in your 72 Hour Emergency Food Kits that need opening with a can opener.)
You should have the following items now:
1) duffel bag or similar type of bag to store items in
2) first-aid kit and first-aid manual (book)
3) portable regular or solar radio with extra batteries
4) can opener
If you have not already made Emergency Preparedness Plan a part of this year's goals, please take some time to do so. Involve the family and set goals for your 72 Hour Emergency Kits, 3 Months Food Supply, Year's Supply and Water Storage. If you have room plan and plant a vegetable garden, involve the whole family. Family Home Evening is a great time to do this or getting the family together on Sunday to make a plan. Set goals to meet each item you want to work on.
The postings on this website will help you. Also, go back to August 1st Weekly Assignment and Challenge if you have not started on your 72 Hour Emergency Kits. It will take you through it week by week.
If you need help setting up your plan and goals please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 310-835-0902. I am also happy to help you plan and plant a vegetable garden. A few of you have already done this and I am so excited to work with you on your garden. The best time to start your vegetable garden is in March.
Remember: Do not forget to post your name and comment (if you wish) at the end of the posting to have your name entered into the January Monthly FREE Giveaway Drawing. If you having problems logging on to the website or posting your name please do the following:
Go to Google, on the top bar where is says http://www.google.com/, highlight and replace with "thearkcarsonward.blogspot.com", then click on the double green arrows or hit enter.
Scroll down to the bottom of each posting and click on "comments" at the bottom. When the comment section comes up scroll past any comments, see "Post a Comment" (add your name and comment in the white box area. Then click on "Comment as:", hit the drop down arrow, click on Anonymous, then click on "Post Comment". This will post your name and comment. Please call me at 310-835-0902 if you have any problems. Sister Nancy Cuppett
Save as a favorite "thearkcarsonward.blogspot.com on your computer to easily access the website each time.